Written by Jessica on Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Since I've added an additional blog, Crafting4aCause , many of my friends have commented that I must be crazy to add something else to my plate. I get that comment a lot. Like when I took all my boys to the zoo and the aquarium, and when I made the decision to cloth diaper the boys. I'm not denying that I'm crazy, I probably am. And I don't get offended when I'm called crazy, actually, I take it in stride as a compliment. Crazy means I'm doing something to challenge myself, something that is not required of me. Crazy is good.

Back to the question, why do I do it? It's simple really, I do what I do because I love it. I - LOVE - it. I love that I get to take care of my boys all day each day, I love picking Taylor up from school, I love learning new things, I love being challenged, I love helping others, I love cooking, I love sewing, I love making things, I love being able to make a difference, I love watching my boys learn new things, I love being a wife and a mother and all that goes with those titles. When you do what you love doing, even if it's difficult at times, it's always worth it and fulfilling at the end of the day.

Quick point and case: When I was on bed rest in the hospital for 2 weeks my doctor came to visit me every day, with few exceptions. He would come early in the morning, late in the evening, or sometimes in the middle of the day. The nurses would sometimes tell me that he had called to check on me. Other doctors from the practice that were on call would come to see me and tell me that they had orders to call him (even though he was not on call) should anything happen with me. He works crazy hours in a high stress environment. I mean, he deals with pregnant, hormonal women all day - talk about stress! He has to make each patient feel like they're the first one he's seen that day, even though she's the 100th unhappy, miserable 9 month pregnant lady he's heard complaining about the same ole thing. AND he has to balance that with a family of his own. During my time in the hospital, I started to feel bad that I was there, I felt bad that I was adding to his stress. I began to question why anyone would choose to be a doctor; why they would choose that life. I watch Grey's Anatomy, it's tough! Then it dawned on me, the only reason someone would choose that life is because they love it. ..and when you love it, it's worth it and always fulfilling.

I tried staying home with Taylor. At the time, I wasn't ready for the challenge. (Luckily, I got a second chance) I cannot tell you the guilt I felt during that time six years ago. Financially, we could afford for me to stay home and raise him. But after 6 weeks at home, I chose to go back to work. In fact, I decided I wanted to have a career, thrive, and climb the latter. I went to school, got a business degree and started climbing. I loved my job. I loved the company I worked for. I loved being a mom too, but I thought I couldn't handle it 24/7 and I needed an outlet. (Being a mom is tough work!) I had it all planned out. But, you've heard that saying, "Want to hear God laugh tell him your plans." God had other plans for me, and who am I to argue?

Now, I know love. I know happiness. I know I'm in the right place, doing what I'm supposed to do. It took me time to get to this place, but now I'm here and lovin it.

Which brings me back to my latest challenge that I've chosen; raising money for the Children's Miracle Network and/or March of Dimes/March for Babies. Again, I do this because it's a cause close to my heart, and I love it. When Wade and I received the news that I was carrying triplets, and I had time to start breathing again... Days later... I began to worry about what would happen once the babies were born. I knew they would be premature. Would I have to go to Atlanta? Would the hospitals here in Columbus be able to take care of my premature boys? That's when I researched and found that babies are flown in from all over the region to come to Columbus' Medical Center. It's 1 of 6 Children's Miracle Network hospitals in Georgia. Immediately, I no longer had to worry about where I would deliver and if they were capable of taking care of my boys. It was a one worry lifted. Thanks to great prenatal care, I was able to carry the boys 34.4 weeks. Yes, they were preemie's but they were healthy, weighing a combined 15 pounds 1.5 ounces at birth. They never had to go to the high risk nursery, but they were in special care for 11 days. Towards the end of the 11 days, the hospital NICU nurses invited us to stay at the hospital overnight. We jumped at the chance (especially since they couldn't come home until we did it!) But also, we didn't want our first time alone with them to be at home, with no nurse back up, no medical help should we need it. That night we learned how to feed the boys on our own, we learned their little gasps and gurgle sounds were okay, because the heart and breathing monitors told us so, we were able to learn these things and have the comfort of nurses just outside our door. This opportunity was afforded to us by the Children's Miracle Network. Money raised by the CMN funded that room and much of the equipment in the room.

Since then, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how I could give back. How I could show appreciation for the care my boys received. How I could help ensure that other families could benefit for years to come the same way we did. It's taken me some time to get settled in and to a point where I feel like I could give enough of me to another cause to make a difference, but now I'm ready. I'm combining my passion for crafts and making things, with my passion for babies and this cause. If we had any extra money, I could just make cash donations, but we don't and I can't. Crafting4aCause will allow me to share handmade items with you, while raising money for babies. It's a win-win-win.

**As a side note, the the name of the blog is pretty straight forward, but I do want to point out that I purposely chose to use the number '4 ' versus spelling 'for' as a representation of my 4 boys. Additionally, I have chosen to only offer handmade items. I have a few reasons. It's sort of a tribute to all the hard working WAHM's out there who depend on income from handmade items to be able to stay home with their babies. It's better for the environment. Handmade is original and unique. It's FUN! I could keep going, but I'll spare you.

Now that you understand why I do what I do, I hope you will support the cause, and help make this a success! Additionally, I hope it will inspire you to do something you love. Something that matters to you.

2 i *heart* comments!:

Anonymous said...

YOU MAKE ME SO PROUD OF YOU I JUST WISH I COULD BE MORE LIKE YOU GOD LOVE YOU ! GOOD LUCK WITH THIS& EVERYTHING YOU DO I KNOW YOU WILL DO GOOD BECAUSE ONCE YOU SET YOUR MIND TO SOMETHING NOTHING CAN STOP YOU YOU GO GIRL!!!!! ILOVE YOU MOM

Jessica said...

Aww. Thanks Mom. You made me this way! = )