Written by Jessica on Saturday, September 06, 2008

Six short years ago today, my and Wade's alarm clock went off at 4:00 am; although, we were already awake. I don't think either of us slept much that night. We had a 5:00 am appointment at the hospital to be induced. Taylor was overdue, and we couldn't wait any longer to meet him. On our way to the hospital, we were stopped by a train, after waiting for what seemed like an hour, we turned to go back to the main road to get to the overpass to get around the train. We could see the train end, and guards raise as soon as we turned around. Finally, we made it to the hospital, walked to the labor and delivery floor and proudly announced to the nurses at the desks that we were there to have a baby today. They immediately grabbed us up, threw me in a bed, hooked me up, and sometime between 6:00 and 7:00 that morning I began receiving the petosin (however you spell that) to make me have contractions and begin the labor process.

All was well, until around 11am. When my "no meds" wishes flew out the window and I ordered Wade to find someone to give me drugs...NOW! He did; unfortunately it took somewhere between 1 and 2 hours to get the epidural. Apparently I have some compressed spine issues that led to the anesthesiologist being unable to find the proper space needed to insert the needle. Meanwhile, Wade had to hold me in a doubled over, 'football hold' during that entire time. Finally, 3 anesthesiologists later, many needle holes in the back, and several incredibly painful contraction later, I had no pain. Ahhh, the relief! My only regret: I should have taken that epidural the first time they offered it! From there, I took a nap, woke up and chatted a little bit, then at 3:00pm Dr. E came in and told me it was time to start pushing! Did I mention the air conditioner was broken? Yeah. Broken. We had a small fan there to cool the entire room. When I say small, I mean Wade held it near my face to keep me cool until the doctor came in, at which point he told me I was no longer the important one in the room and the fan was now blowing on Dr. E.

Three pushes and 15 minutes later, we heard Taylor scream out to catch his first breath of air. Wade cut his umbilical cord, and the doctor placed Taylor on my chest. He immediately grabbed my finger and melted my heart. My Angel was perfect. Taylor Wade was born weighing 8 pounds 10 ounces. 21 inches long, born at 3:15pm, September 6, 2002.

The nurses cleaned him up, and prepared him for us; he was ours, to love and care for forever. Our sweet Angel is growing up so fast.

Happy 6th Birthday Taylor! We love you!

1 i *heart* comments!:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Taylor!!! Hope you have a great day!