Written by Jessica on Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Categories: ,

OK, so I've never recycled before, so I wasn't sure where to begin. I googled drop locations for my zip code and found a few places. Once I started calling them I found that certain places only took certain things, some knew they were a "drop" location but didn't know what they accepted and what they didn't and some just said, "Bring it and we'll throw it out if we can't use it." I was pretty disappointed with my first attempt to figure this recycling thing out. But, after a little more research, I've found 2 convenient locations that accept the most common recyclables. One is the Goodwill located in downtown Columbus, the other is by the Roy Martin Center in Phenix City. Neither of the 2 could tell me exactly what they accepted, but said "the most common" are taken there. To find your nearest recycling center visit this website: http://www.recyclingcenters.org/. If you live in Columbus, you can call the utilities department and they will supply you with bins and pick them up weekly. Phenix City doesn't have that service.

I tried to think of what we use and throw away the most, aside from diapers, and I think the top 3 in order would be:

  1. Plastics (types 1and 2)

  2. Aluminum

  3. Tin Cans (canned goods)

Actually I think paper would be number 1, but we're not going to try to tackle paper just yet... I am going to start contacting all the companies that send me junk mail and catalogs full of things I'll never be able to afford to ask them to remove me from their mailing list. For information on how to remove yourself or simply reduce the amount of paper in your mailbox visit http://www.ecocycle.org/junkmail/index.cfm.

Not all plastics are recyclable, and there are some rules. For example, only plastics with a 1 or 2 on the bottom can be recycled in most places. Also, the items must be cleaned and the labels need to be removed. Also, if they have a lid, the lid must be removed as well; they're not recyclable yet. For information on how to separate your plastics and other recycling tips, visit: http://www.ehow.com/how_9160_recycle-plastic.html and
http://environment.about.com/od/earthtalkcolumns/a/recycleplastics.htm. You can also sign up for electronic billing and pay all your bills online. It’s quicker, easier, cheaper, and definitely greener.

This site offers several creative ways to reuse things you usually throw away after the first use. It also has lots of good tips on recycling as well as links to other ‘green’ websites: http://www.ecologue.com/

Here are my homemade recycling bins

Ok, lesson over. I just thought I would try to make someone elses recycling experience a little easier.

2 i *heart* comments!:

[Hailes] said...

i didn't know you had a green side! thanks for all the websites. i've tried a few times with little success to find some sites like those. cool!

Jessica said...

You're my inspiration Haley! I'm not quite to organic milk yet, but I'm trying! ...baby steps.